Welcome to Western Sydney Business Access

 fb tw yt in 

Plastic litter in Western Sydney. Plastic litter in Western Sydney. Featured


Grant to clean up Western Sydney
THE peak body representing councils in Greater Western Sydney, the Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC) has been awarded $450,000 in grant funding by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) through the Litter Prevention Grants Program.
The funded initiative supports the coordination of the new ambitious Western Sydney-wide litter reduction effort.
WSROC and seven participating Western Sydney councils will team up to action the Western Sydney Regional Litter Prevention Plan 2023-2027 for maximum coordinated effect.
The seven participating councils are Blacktown City, Cumberland City, Fairfield City, Hawkesbury City, The Hills Shire, Liverpool City, and City of Parramatta Councils.
Litter costs Western Sydney residents more than $31M each year, with councils cleaning up and disposing of truckloads of littered items across the region.  
“The most littered locations are roadsides, carparks, recreational parks, shopping strips, and train stations.  However, our creeks, rivers and other waterways are also seriously impacted by littering,” said WSROC President, Councillor Barry Calvert.
“Along with cigarette butts, food packaging, and takeaway containers, including coffee cups, are the most littered items in Western Sydney.
“Only 55 percent of waste disposed in public places was correctly disposed, leaving councils to clean up 45 percent of rubbish littered in our region.”
“This new Western Sydney Regional Litter Prevention Plan responds to the needs of our seven participating councils, who serve Australia’s most culturally diverse and fastest growing region with a population of over 2.6 million people and more than 191,000 businesses spread across approximately 9,000 square kilometres,” said Councillor Calvert.


Michael Walls
0407 783 413

Access News is a print and digital media publisher established over 15 years and based in Western Sydney, Australia. Our newspaper titles include the flagship publication, Western Sydney Express, which is a trusted source of information and for hundreds of thousands of decision makers, businesspeople and residents looking for insights into the people, projects, opportunities and networks that shape Australia's fastest growing region - Greater Western Sydney.